I’m the owner of two lovable dogs, Avery and Beckham. Well, they are both Terriers - sometimes they are NOT lovable.... But they are a huge part of our family… so embracing our pet’s living habits while preserving our home’s stylish décor is a must. I tell my clients, “You can have a fabulous home and pets too without sacrificing style.”
It’s just a matter of rethinking and looking beyond the normal décor for pets. Creativity and design elements used in other areas of your home quickly put a new twist on stylish pet beds, toy boxes, bedding etc. to fit the style of your home - whether it’s modern, eclectic, traditional, coastal or chic.
Beckham, (above) gets a splash of international decor with a Union Jack motif dog bed (Beckham's favorite napping place)
Beckham and Avery’s graphic print design bed (below) has more of an edgy look. Perfect for hiding those unwanted hairs and dirt they leave behind, but comfy for those long naps on rainy days here in the Northwest. A stylish solution with functionality … looks smashing in any eclectic, contemporary or art décor room.
So, sophistication more your style? Replace that tired-looking dog/cat bed with a modern pet chaise lounge. This chaise lounge functions as a pet bed, blending seamlessly into your décor. I love the design possibilities with this urban chic chaise. Faux leather blends beautifully with other pieces adding contemporary movement with functionality. I love the smart look as well as how it cleans beautifully with a damp cloth and stands the test of time. A modern look with sleek lines and an inviting design makes it the perfect choice if you have pets.
Lets not forget the Cat.... the green cloth chaise lounger (below) provides our feline friends with the same cool factor.
Decorating your home with your pets in mind can be easier than you think. After all, they are family members too!
Here are a few tips for home décor that makes life a little easier and allows your home to look and feel lovely every day.
1. Use stain resistant and cleanable fabrics wherever possible – slipcovers, bedding, pillows, rugs etc. Choosing the right fabrics and flooring will add to a fashionable décor and freshen up your home at the same time.
2. Excellent choices in fabric is a must. My favorite fabric that delivers beauty and stain-resistant elements is Crypton. The perfect choice for families with pets and kids. It protects your furnishings against stains, moisture, bacteria and odors while leaving your home’s appearance showcase ready.
3. Ultrasuede is a designer’s dream … a microfiber that washes beautifully and continues to look elegant year after year. Ultrasuede has a rich texture providing a sophisticated look to any room.
4. Leather (or Faux Leather) is also an excellent choice … looks chic and cleans easily. Have an eclectic style! One of my favorite design techniques is mixing different fabrics, textures and styles together in one room. Bringing all the things you love together cultivates interest, giving your home its own unique personality.
5. Carpet is not your friend. At least not in the areas that your pets visit. Carpets absorb odors and stains readily and if your furry friends are inside pets, I highly recommend tile/hardwood flooring and area rugs - preferably the color of your pet’s fur. Matching your furnishings to your pets fur can be inspiring!
Think of all the possibilities in colors, types and design choices!
Here are some more pet beds I love. Depending on your home and style, there is great selection on the market. If you're looking for something truly unique or one of a kind, search for pet goods on Etsy.com. Etsy.com is a unique market place for small businesses to display their goods online. They are typically individuals who do not want a storefront but have a unique, custom or handmade product.
Changing a few elements in your home to accommodate your
pet’s living style and your own should not be a daunting task. With small changes,
it will make cleaning, replacing and odor control much easier and
cost-efficient. Need help creating a
chic pet-friendly home? We would love to
help you live in harmony with your best friend.